[ncl-talk] diurnal cycle of precip plot

Guido Cioni guidocioni at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 02:57:56 MST 2017

Hey Adam,
I saw those plots already more than once. Yes, they are pretty nice :)

I would say that making the plot itself is no hassle when you already have the data as a 2-D array: they are normal contour plots with raster fill and a user-defined color scale.

What I think is a little bit more “difficult" is doing the data analysis BEFORE. I never managed to read the method part of papers presenting such results but I believe they explained in detail what they did. So this should be more a “method” question and not an “NCL” question since the algorithm can then be coded without problems once you have it.

I don’t know what they use for the analysis but I believe rain rate from TRMM as function of time and space. Then what you have to do for every grid point is:
extract the JJA average as function of time (I would do that with CDO)
compute the UTC time relative to the maximum of precipitation over a 24 hours window (this can be done easily with maxind in NCL when you have the JJA averages)
convert the time of the precipitation peak to local time: that’s the tricky part. Depending on the time variable that you have I would create an array which holds all the local time shifts and then use it to correct the time for every grid point by checking whether it is into a determined area. Note that in Python there are some ready-to-use modules to use for this task (e.g. pyephem).

Hope that helps.