[ncl-talk] About zoom in a WRF domain

Barry Lynn barry.h.lynn at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 06:41:34 MDT 2017

Hi:

WRF zoom has its own way of doing things.

If you deviate, you can run into trouble.

; bounding box for January 26 2015

  lats = (/  37.50,  46.50 /)

  lons = (/ -77.0, -64.50 /)

  mpres             = True   ; Set map options (none set here)

  mpres at mpOutlineOn                 = True

  mpres at mpOutlineBoundarySets = "USStates"

  mpres at mpUSStateLineColor          = "Black"

  mpres at mpNationalLineColor         = "Black"

  mpres at mpGeophysicalLineColor      = "Black"

  mpres at mpUSStateLineThicknessF     = 3.0

  mpres at mpNationalLineThicknessF    = 3.0

  mpres at mpGeophysicalLineThicknessF = 3.0

  mpres at mpGridAndLimbOn = False

; mpres at mpOutlineBoundarySets       = "AllBoundaries"

;* loc(0,;) is west-east (x) ; loc(1,:) is south-north (y)*

*; subtract one since we want to use it as an index in NCL*

*  loc = wrf_user_ll_to_ij(a, lons, lats, True)*

*  x_start = loc(0,0) - 1*

*  x_end   = loc(0,1) - 1*

*  y_start = loc(1,0) - 1*

*  y_end   = loc(1,1) - 1*

*   mpres at ZoomIn = True*

*   mpres at Xstart = x_start*

*   mpres at Ystart = y_start*

*   mpres at Xend = x_end*

*   mpres at Yend = y_end*

  var_zoom = avo_ave_new(y_start:y_end,x_start:x_end)

  contour_avo  = wrf_contour(a,wks,var_zoom,opts_avo)

 plot = wrf_map_overlays(a,wks,(/contour_avo,contour_z/),opts_avo,mpres

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 2:53 PM, Luis Cesareo Cana Cascallar <
luis.cana at ulpgc.es> wrote:

> Dear all,
> I’m trying to redraw a plot with maps, contours and vectors zooming in a
> specific area. To do so, I’ve set the following parameters:
>
> ;  mpres at mpLimitMode = "Corners"
> ;  mpres at mpLeftCornerLatF = 28.0
> ;  mpres at mpLeftCornerLonF = -13.65
> ;  mpres at mpRightCornerLatF = 28.8
> ;  mpres at mpRightCornerLonF = -14.55
>
> The map looks nice, but the variables are not drawn accordingly to this
> new zoomed map. NCL overlay the original data over the zoomed map because
> because that’s what I’m telling it to do...
>
> I’ve taken a look to the NCL WRF tutorial about zooming in a plot, but
> they took another approach, locating (x,y) coordinates from the given
> corners and creating new zoomed variables. I think this method may be a bit
> outdated. I’ve also googled in ncl-talk archives about this topic and I
> found an old mail (Jan 9, 2011) with a similar problem but it required a
> mod to WRFUserARW.ncl in order to add special resources. As it’s an old
> mail, is still valid?
>
> Is it possible to set the above limits to the contour and vector plots
> just by setting the left and right corner as above? If not, which is the
> best approach to this problem?
>
> Best,
>
> Luis

Barry H. Lynn, Ph.D