[ncl-talk] Can't overlay maps on a NAM (native grid)

David Brown dbrown at ucar.edu
Wed Nov 23 18:13:59 MST 2016

I am attaching a modified script that works on your data (except you need
to figure out what you want to do about the titles). Most of your script
was okay except for a few crucial points.

Main points to remember:
All the resource warning messages come from setting map resources for a
plot that does not include a map -- the warnings are not fatal, these
resources will simply be ignored. So don't copy the resources from the
contour map to the plain contour. Instead start over with a new resource
variable. You had
zres = res     ; copies all the attributes of "res" to "zres"
Instead
zres = True

Since you are doing a native plot (tfDoNDCOverlay = True) you also need to
set this for the overlay plot (contour_z):

zres at tfDoNDCOverlay = True

Finally whenever you call the "draw" routine, you also need to call
"frame", so:

draw(contour_rh)
frame(wks)

Hope this helps.