[ncl-talk] felxpart output data processing

Guido Cioni guidocioni at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 07:26:39 MST 2016

Hey Yan,
I'm pretty sure this question is not NCL specific :) It is really hard for people that don't know what you're working on and what "Flexpart" is to help you... Also, the most important rule of NCL is "know your data". I think you shold ask before who is responsible for the model.

P.S. The files contained in your RAR archive were, respectively:

trajectories.txt:             			text/plain; charset=us-ascii
header_nest:                  			application/octet-stream; charset=binary
header:                       			application/octet-stream; charset=binary
dates:                        			text/plain; charset=us-ascii
grid_initial_001:             			application/octet-stream; charset=binary
grid_time_20150622000000_001: 	application/octet-stream; charset=binary

file -I * is your friend. In order to read binary files in NCL see http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/r-binary.shtml <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/r-binary.shtml>. ASCII files can be read as well: http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/asciiread.shtml <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/asciiread.shtml>.

Guido Cioni
http://guidocioni.altervista <http://guidocioni.altervista/>.org