[ncl-talk] 3-d aerosol fields

David Brown dbrown at ucar.edu
Fri Nov 11 14:25:57 MST 2016

NCL's decoding of GRIB2 aerosol files is still a work in progress. The
current development code gives better results than you are obtaining,
but it needs further development. As of now the aerosol type is
decoded so the difference between a MASSMR (Mass mixing ratio) record
of, for example, "Sea Salt Dry" and "Sulfate Dry" is detected and
difference variables are created for each. What is not yet implemented
are two new dimension types: one for aerosol size and one for aerosol
wavelength. Consequently, NCL does not yet distinguish between records
that only differ by the size or wavelength of a specific aerosol type.

Implementing these new dimensions requires enough new code for the
GRIB2 reader that it will probably not make the impending release of
6.4.0. It is a high priority though and we certainly hope to include
it in the follow up 6.4.1 release.
 -dave