[ncl-talk] dividing by zero

Laura Fowler laura at ucar.edu
Mon Nov 7 11:59:03 MST 2016

Hello:

I am trying to get around the error message:

fatal:divide: Division by 0, Can't continue
fatal:Div: operator failed, can't continue

when trying to calculate the ratio between the convective rain and
total rain on a global scale. To avoid dividing by zero, I defined the
missing value:

rain at _FillValue = default_fillvalue(typeof(rain))

prior to the line:

ratio_rainc = where(rain.gt.5.,rainc/rain,rain at _FillValue)

I thought that this would solve the issue of dividing by zero, but it
did not. I am not sure what to try next?

Thanks,
Laura

--
Laura D. Fowler