[ncl-talk] Radar data plotting, no MAP_PROJ attribute

Ryan Connelly rconne01 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 16:35:17 MDT 2016

Hi,

I have Level II radar data in netcdf format (using radx and the steps
outlined here:
https://publish.illinois.edu/snesbitt/resources/radar-data-processing-with-radx/
).

I want to overlay it on a base map, in the same way I would with WRF data.
Here's a highly condensed version of what I have:

rf    = addfile(diri+fili,"r")
       rd    = rf->REF(:,:,:,:)          ; float REF(time, z0, y0, x0) ;
RHO, ZDR

       rd_plane = rd(0,0,:,:)

       contour =  gsn_csm_contour(wks,rd_plane,radres)
       plot = wrf_map_overlays(rf,wks,(/contour/),radres,mpres)

I was just assuming the netcdf had location data packaged into it, but I
get the error:

(0) wrf_map: Error: no MAP_PROJ attribute in input file
fatal:overlay: missing value as input, can't continue

I tried adding in a wrf file I had laying around and using it for map
plotting, and while that got be a basemap, by radar data was obviously not
matched geographically (it showed the KOKX RDA over New York City!).

Thanks,
Ryan

--
Ryan Connelly
M.S. Student in Atmospheric Sciences, Stony Brook University
rconne01 at gmail.com
ryan.connelly at stonybrook.edu