[ncl-talk] A problem about install NCL on OS X

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Fri Sep 25 09:02:24 MDT 2015

Dachao,

In the future, please post NCL installation questions to
ncl-install at ucar.edu and not ncl-talk at ucar.edu. You need to subscribe first:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Support/email_lists.shtml

I had to google this error, because I'm not sure what the cause of it might
be.  You might also want to try this, because there were several possible
causes of this error, along with suggested solutions. The main cause seems
to be if you've used "brew" to install some other local software, which
then may have caused a libpng library to get installed in a different
location with a different version than what XQuartz provides. If you have
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH set to point to the "brew" location of your png library,
then NCL might fail because it wants the XQuartz version of this library.

You should have this library installed on your system if you have XQuartz
installed, which is what provides an X server on your Mac system.  The X
server is needed if you plan to use NCL and send the graphical output to an
"x11" window.

If you type the following from a Terminal window:

find /opt -name 'libpng*dylib' -print

this will help you see what libpng libraries you do have.

Have you installed any software using "brew"?  Just in case, you may want
to see if there are other PNG libraries in /usr/local:

find /usr/local -name 'libpng*dylib' -print

and then finally, check if the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH or LD_LIBRARY_PATH
 environment variables are set:

env | grep LD
If you have libpng files in both /usr/local and /opt, and you have
"libpng15.15.dylib" in the /opt
​location, then try NOT setting DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH and see if "ncl -V" works.

If it still doesn't work, then send email to ncl-install at ucar.edu and
include the output from all the UNIX commands I asked you to type.

--Mary