[ncl-talk] eof function

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Mon Sep 7 08:21:28 MDT 2015

Attached is one of the test scripts used to test NCL's 'eofunc' function.

It uses data from

; John C Davis
; Statistics and Data Analysis in Geology
; Wiley, 2nd Edition, 1986
; Source Data: page 524 , EOF results: page537

To provide a geophysical context:
    There are 25 rows which you can consider 'time'   (25 time steps)
    There are 7 columns which you can consider 'grid points' or 'stations'

NCL matches the book results *exactly*. The script performs the following tasks:

[1] Read and 'pretty print' the input data

[2] (for convenience) it assigns the named dimensions 'time' and 'sta'
(station) to the row & columns

[3] It uses the named dimensions to conform to the input expected by eofunc

[4] It 'pretty prints'  all the eigenvectors (evevc) and principal
components (PCs; evecv_ts)

[5] It calculates and prints out the 'sum of squares' of each
eigenvector [ sumsqr = dim_sum(evecv^2)]. These sum to one (1.0) so
this shows the eigenvectors are normalized.

[6] It reconstructs the original input array from the evevc and
evevc_ts arrays:  'eof2data'.
Since NCL's 'eofunc' works with anomalies ... the column/station menas
are added prior to reconstruction.

[7] it computes the correlations between each of the time series (PCs)
and verifies the there is no correlation between each PC. This means
they are orthogonal.

====
In short, NCL's 'eofunc' is doing what it should do.

====

As noted by Maria and me,

[a] maybe the ferret and fortran are not normalizing
[b] NCL uses a covariance matrix containing covariances (symmetric
storage mode). Even if you do not input anomalies, under the hood,
covariances are used.  This could be another source of discrepancy.
Note: if you are using tropical Pacific SSTs, you should be using
anomalies.

=====

Regards