[ncl-talk] EOF for SST and SLP combined?

Erik Jan Schaffernicht eschaffe at uni-koeln.de
Thu Mar 26 10:33:52 MDT 2015

Hi,
Is there a way to run an EOF on several combined fields in one exection?
To get the max. joint variability?
As an example I like to see the EOF of an sea surface temp (SST) field
together with a precipitation rate (PR) field.  Both files I do have as
individual netcdf input.  Then I like to do the Eigen Analysis (EOF)
and get a first Eigenvector which contains the max. variance and I would
like to plot then SST and PR next to each other on one sheet (i.e. two
separate panels, both showing the 1st EOF as result of a combined
analysis of max. variance.).

For the purpose of comparison I know that I can do later on an
EOF-Analysis(SST)  and separated an EOF-Analysis(PR)  and plot them to
see differences.

Thanks for helping.