[ncl-talk] Netcdf-4 simple storage methods

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Thu Mar 19 10:42:21 MDT 2015

NCL team,

Here is the ncdump -s of an actual Netcdf-4 classic file made with ncgen:

netcdf simple {
dimensions:
    lon = 4 ;
    lat = 3 ;
    time = UNLIMITED ; // (5 currently)
variables:
    float lat(lat) ;
        lat:_Storage = "contiguous" ;
    float lon(lon) ;
        lon:_Storage = "contiguous" ;
    double time(time) ;
        time:_Storage = "chunked" ;
        time:_ChunkSizes = 5 ;

// global attributes:
        :_Format = "netCDF-4 classic model" ;
data:

 lat = _, _, _ ;

 lon = _, _, _, _ ;

 time = _, _, _, _, _ ;
}

This file can also be made with custom C code using the Netcdf-C API.  Is
it possible to create this exact file with NCL?  In particular:

* Can the storage method "contiguous" be selected?

* For chunked variables, is it possible to omit the special attributes
_DeflateLevel, _Shuffle, and _Endianness, as this file demonstrates?

My objective is simply to reduce clutter in file dumps.  NCL always adds
_DeflateLevel = 0 by default.  I am aware that this is functionally
equivalent to contiguous.

--Dave