[ncl-talk] problem with x11 window

Alan Brammer abrammer at albany.edu
Sat Jan 24 14:05:16 MST 2015

--Sorry for the double mail David, forgot to cc ncl-talk.

Are you sshing in from a Mac?  Sounds similar to the problems I used to
have.   In which case it may be the below.    If not,  the next question
will be which version of ncl did you install?

Below taken from the release page.
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/prev_releases.shtml

   - There is a bug in Apple's new XQuartz windowing system that causes
   NCL's cairo X11 window to not display properly on Mac systems running MacOS
   10.8 or later, or on Macs that have been upgraded to use XQuartz 2.7.x as
   the default X11 window system.

   *Note: as of November 10, 2013, this bug has been fixed by XQuartz. You
   need to download and install version 2.7.5
   from http://xquartz.macosforge.org/ <http://xquartz.macosforge.org/>. Be
   sure to kill any old XQuartz servers that are still running.*

   If you can't upgrade your XQuartz for some reason, then a work-around is
   to use "ncl.xq.fix". You must use this executable in place of "ncl":

     ncl.xq.fix myscript.ncl

   If this seems to fix the problem, then you can make this your default
   "ncl":

     mv $NCARG_ROOT/bin/ncl $NCARG_ROOT/bin/ncl.bkp
     mv $NCARG_ROOT/bin/ncl.xq.fix $NCARG_ROOT/bin/ncl