[ncl-talk] change font size of the text on wind rose plot

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Thu Jan 22 14:21:11 MST 2015

Hi Sha,
Looking at:
$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/wind_rose.ncl

I see that there are multiple places where the txFontHeightF is set, reset,
and scaled.
Here's what I recommend:
1) You can alter the font size of the % labels by setting the txFontHeightF
at line 364.

2) You can alter the font height of the mean values by changing the
txFontHeightF setting at line 377.

3) Add a txFontHeightF call at line 453:
   txRes at txFontHeightF     = 0.0140
   This will reset the txFontHeight values back to the way they were
originally so that your font changes do not alter any other text.

Hope that helps!
Adam

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 9:43 AM, Sha Feng <sfeng at mail.usf.edu> wrote:

> Hi Dennis,
>
> The one I was using is WindRoseColor (rose_5.ncl
> <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/rose_5.ncl>:). The font
> size I would like to change are those in the wind rose (cycle) area, such
> as, % labels, average of wind speed along each wind direction.
>
> Thank,
> -Sha
>

> On Jan 22, 2015, at 6:32 AM, Dennis Shea wrote:
>

> Which 'wind_rose' function are you using?
>
> Which text size are you changing?  Title? Sub-title? Sub-Sub title? %
> lables? wind-speed labels?
> Please be specific.
>

> On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 6:44 PM, Sha Feng <sfeng at mail.usf.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Does anyone know how to change the font size of the text on wind rose
>> plots at http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/rose.shtml
>>
>> I changed the resource "txFontHeightF" in
>> $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/wind_rose.ncl
>>  but it doesn't work.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Sha

Adam Phillips
Associate Scientist,  Climate and Global Dynamics Division, NCAR