[ncl-talk] principal oscillation pattern

Maria Gehne - NOAA Affiliate maria.gehne at noaa.gov
Thu Jan 8 16:21:58 MST 2015

Ok, I remembered something about the correlation matrices. In version 6.1.2
there was a bug in
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/covcorm.shtml
where the options behaved the opposite of what they were supposed to do.
Maybe that's the issue here.
I would recommend downloading the POP driver script
http://ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/PrnOscPat_driver.ncl
save it under a different name and load that script at the beginning of
your code. Instead of calling the built-in version, call the new version in
your code.

Before you do that you can change the options for covcorm in line 25 in the
new POP driver script. I would also include a few printVarSummarys
throughout the code so that you can see if your array is suddenly 1D
instead of 2D.

Hope this helps,
Maria