[ncl-talk] slice plot

Bedassa Regassa beregassa at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 16:24:09 MDT 2014

I am new to ncl. I am to plot the vertical Height vs longitude but I got
warning and I tried to a lot to find my error.

here is the wraning

warning:ScalarFieldSetValues: 2d coordinate array sfXArray has an incorrect
dimension size: defaulting sfXArray

here is my data information ncl_filedump and below alos my scrip

dimensions:
      x = 186
      y = 166
      pressure = 9
      time = 1  // unlimited
      nb2 = 2
   variables:
      float lon ( y, x )
         standard_name :        longitude
         long_name :    longitude
         units :        degrees_east
         _CoordinateAxisType :  Lon

      float lat ( y, x )
         standard_name :        latitude
         long_name :    latitude
         units :        degrees_north
         _CoordinateAxisType :  Lat

      float pressure ( pressure )
         standard_name :        air_pressure
         long_name :    pressure
         units :        Pa
         positive :     down
         axis : Z

      double time ( time )
         standard_name :        time
         long_name :    time
         bounds :       time_bnds
         units :        seconds since 2009-05-01 00:00:00
         calendar :     proleptic_gregorian

      double time_bnds ( time, nb2 )
         units :        seconds since 2009-05-01 00:00:00
         calendar :     proleptic_gregorian

 float U ( time, pressure, y, x )
         standard_name :        grid_eastward_wind
         long_name :    U-component of wind
         units :        m s-1
         coordinates :  lon lat

;************************************************
;load the graphic libraries
;************************************************
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl"
;************************************************
begin
;************************************************
;open file and read in data
;************************************************
f=addfile("u_2009_JJAS_mean.nc","r")
;************************************************
; get variables infromation and print them  cclm
;************************************************
vars = getfilevarnames(f)
print(vars)
;************************************************
var=f->U(0,:,15,:)
lon2d=f->lon
lev=f->pressure

var at lon2d=lon2d
var at lev=lev
;*******************************
;create plot
;************************************************

;-- define workstation
wks = gsn_open_wks("png","plot_slices")
gsn_define_colormap(wks,"ncl_default") ;-- set the colormap to be used
;-- set resources
res = True
res at tiMainString = "DKRZ NCL Tutorial Example: Slice plot at 40N"
res at cnFillOn = True ;-- turn on color fill
res at cnLineLabelsOn = False ;-- turns off contour line labels
res at cnInfoLabelOn = False ;-- turns off contour info label
res at lbOrientation = "vertical" ;-- vertical label bar
res at tiYAxisString = var at long_name+" [hPa]"
;-- append units to y-axis label
;res at tfDoNDCOverlay = True
res at sfXArray = lon2d ;-- uses lon_t as plot x-axis
res at sfYArray = lev/100 ;-- uses lev_t in hPa as plot y-axis
res at gsnYAxisIrregular2Linear = True ;-- converts irreg depth to linear
res at trYReverse = True ;-- reverses y-axis

;-- generate the plot
plot = gsn_csm_contour(wks,var,res)
end