[ncl-install] NCL conda for OSX-Arm64

Ted Mansell - NOAA Federal ted.mansell at noaa.gov
Mon Oct 10 11:05:20 MDT 2022

Luis,

You can try a precompiled binary from https://www.earthsystemgrid.org/dataset/ncl.html and run in rosetta2. The old 6.0.0 seems to work for me, but I haven't tested it too much. The last version there (6.6.2) fails because it is not fully static and needs specific dynamic libraries for x86 (libomp, libgfortran.4). Somewhere in between may work, as well. I don't know if the homebrew install works on M1 -- I suspect not unless it installs x86 libs as well (It just downloads the 6.6.2 binary). There are gfortran binaries for x86 at https://hpc.sourceforge.net that should have those libs.

Or there may well be another solution. The time I have spent on it has been to try to compile from scratch. The ncarg libraries can compile and work on M1, but I haven't gotten a working ncl (it builds but has a seg fault when it runs). I opened a github pull request to try to get some help to move that along. Unfortunately it is legacy software without any support.

cheers,
-- Ted