[ncl-install] ncl-6.4.0 install for arm64+centos8

Arturo Fernandez afernandez at odyhpc.com
Tue Mar 16 19:30:09 MDT 2021

Hi Dennis & Orion,
Sorry for the delay in clarifying my words as it has been a crazy day. I tried to compile from source last week but failed with the error message:
Building top-level Makefile to determine System defaults
Making ymake from Makefile.ini in ./config first
cc -O -c -o ymake-filter.o ymake-filter.c
cc -O -o ymake-filter ymake-filter.o
Continuing in: /opt/ncl
./config/ymake : Unknown machine type
Unable to build Makefile - fix above errors and re-run.
Terminating configuration procedure
I'm unfamiliar with ymake so I pushed troubleshooting this error message to my list of things to do. Then, and timely, the question (from someone else) came through the mail list, which obviously piqued my interest with the hope of saving some time. However, my preference is still to build from source as with most other apps.
As far as the distribution from the EPEL repository, I'm not sure where it's looking for the netcdf and hdf5 libraries as they were also installed from source; ldconfig lists them as available and other apps use them w/o any trouble. However, "dnf install ncl.aarch64" lists them as among the 29 missing dependencies and fails to complete the installation.
error: rpmdb: BDB0113 Thread/process 1624/281472936728640 failed: BDB1507 Thread died in Berkeley DB library
error: db5 error(-30973) from dbenv->failchk: BDB0087 DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
error: cannot open Packages index using db5 - (-30973)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
Error: Error: rpmdb open failed
Anyway, and as I said, I'd prefer to build from source and not have several versions of hdf5 & netcdf. By PROJ, I meant the cartography app that is also used by other apps. I don't know who picked the name but not a particularly clever choice if you ask me.
Thank you,
Arturo
Dennis Shea wrote:
As noted by Orion, bu default, NCL recognizes netcdf4/5, HDF4/5 [HFD-EOS].
It does not recognize 'PROJ' ... whatever that is.
On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 8:24 PM Orion Poplawski via ncl-install <ncl-install at mailman.ucar.edu <mailto:ncl-install at mailman.ucar.edu> > wrote:
On 3/15/21 7:47 PM, Arturo Fernandez via ncl-install wrote:
> Hi Orion,
> Is this available anywhere to be compiled from source? My problem is
> that it doesn't recognize netcdf, hdf5, PROJ, etc., and I would prefer
> not to have 2 versions of these apps in the system.
> Thanks,
> Arturo
NCL is available as source from the usual place -
https://github.com/NCAR/ncl/ <https://github.com/NCAR/ncl/>
But I don't understand what you mean by "it doesn't recognize netcdf,
hdf5, PROJ, etc.". The EPEL NCL package is built against all of those
(or at least should be - I'll confess to not have tested it).
Orion