[ncl-install] Mac Install w/ Conda : Incomp poppolar & fontconfig libraries

Kevin Hallock hallock at ucar.edu
Thu Apr 25 13:19:41 MDT 2019

Hi Bill,

It looks like you may have some conflicting packages installed in your anaconda environment; in particular, the fact that ncl, poppler, and poppler-data all come from the “conda-forge” channel, but fontconfig does not raises a red flag for me.

When using “anaconda” (as opposed to “miniconda”), the base/“root” environment contains a large collection of packages by default, which can cause conflicts with “conda-forge” packages. If you need to ensure your base environment works as is for other projects, I would instead create a new environment specifically for NCL:

conda create -n ncl_env -c conda-forge ncl
conda activate ncl_env	# older versions of conda use “source activate ncl_env”

While this does add an extra “activate” step before you can use NCL, it does help prevent random library incompatibility issues like what you’ve seen with fontconfig.

If you are not as concerned about your base environment remaining in its current state, you could also just run:

conda update --all -c conda-forge

This will update all of the packages in your base environment to the “conda-forge” channel version, which should allow all of the packages to work together. Note that it is possible that large version jumps can occur for some packages if you do this, so you may need to verify that everything is still backwards compatible.

I hope this helps,
Kevin