[ncl-install] Installation help

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Tue Jan 16 10:17:04 MST 2018

Alexa,

It sounds like your PATH environment variable may not be set up correctly.

Did you set NCARG_ROOT to the parent directory of where you installed NCL,
and then add $NCARG_ROOT/bin to your PATH environment variable described at:

https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/install.shtml#SetNCARG_ROOT

You can verify whether NCARG_ROOT is set correctly by typing, from a UNIX
terminal window:

env | grep NCARG

Then, if NCARG_ROOT looks correct, you can test if  $NCARG_ROOT/bin is on
your search path by typing:

echo $PATH

Note that you won't literally see "$NCARG_ROOT/bin" in $PATH. $NCARG_ROOT
will be replaced with whatever directory you installed NCL to, for example,
"/usr/local/ncl-6.4.0", meaning you should see "/usr/local/ncl-6.4.0/bin"
show up in $PATH.

--Mary