[ncl-install] warning:GKS:GOPWK: --X driver error: DISPLAY environment variable not set

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Fri Feb 12 14:45:38 MST 2016

When you run an NCL graphics program, and want the display to go to an X11
window, you have to be running an X server for this to work.

If you are running NCL from a remote machine, which you logged into with
"ssh", then instead try logging in with "ssh -X" or "ssh -Y".

If you are running under Cygwin, then you need to make sure you are running
an X/Cygwin terminal, and not just a Cygwin terminal.

If you don't need to use X11, then you can try running the example and
sending the graphics to something other than an X11 window:

    ng4ex xy01n -W png

--Mary