[ncl-install] [ncl-talk] Ncl Installation Problem

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Sat Nov 1 17:26:49 MDT 2014

Raja,

As Kyle stated, it is better to post installation questions to ncl-install,
which you need to subscribe to just like you did ncl-talk.

It looks like your GKS library did not get completely built. This would
cause "ncl" to not get built, and the "ncargex cpex08" example to fail.

The GKS library can fail to build for several reasons. The most likely
reason is that it has some cairo dependencies, and if you don't have the
cairo libraries installed on your system or if the NCL build couldn't find
them, then the GKS library will fail to build.

To search for the root of the problem, you can open the "make-output" file
from your build using a UNIX editor, and search for the word "error". Or,
even better, you can search for "No such file or directory" as this will
help you find any compilation errors where it couldn't find some required
header file.

--Mary