[ncl-install] ncl for SUSE linux

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Jul 21 14:16:07 MDT 2014

Jian,

Gcc 4.1.2 is an old version of the compiler, and we can no longer support
building binaries using this.  Some of the newer packages that NCL depends
on can't even be built with gcc V4.1.2  My general recommendation is to
upgrade your compiler.

However, if this is not an option, then I suggest trying the RedHat binary
just to see if it works.

If it doesn't, then what you can do is install a newer gcc, but in a
non-default location. This will allow you to use the appropriate
Debian-based NCL binary, and yet still keep your gcc version at 4.1.2.

--Mary