[ncl-install] NCARG_ROOT under Cygwin

Daniel Adriaansen dadriaan at ucar.edu
Wed Jan 16 08:44:19 MST 2013

Hello,

I am trying to install NCL under Cygwin for Windows. I followed the
directions and I am able to run NCL but when I issue the command "ncl" I
get the following error:

warning:Unable to load System Resource File /usr/local/lib/ncarg/sysresfile
warning:WorkstationClassInitialize:Unable to access rgb color database -
         named colors unsupported:[errno=2]
warning:["Palette.c":1533]:NhlLoadColormapFiles: Invalid colormap directory:
         /usr/local/lib/ncarg/colormaps

 From searching the website I am able to see that the above error is
likely due to an incorrect definition of the NCARG_ROOT variable (from
this link: http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/FAQ/#err_msgs_001)

Here is my .bashrc file:

export NCARG_ROOT=/usr/local
export DISPLAY=:0.0
export PATH=/usr/local/bin/ncl:$PATH

The command "which ncl" yields:
/usr/local/bin/ncl

Could you provide a possible reason why I am seeing this error? Thanks.

-Dan