[ncl-install] help on NCL Installation

D Swain d_swain at ymail.com
Thu Dec 5 01:43:29 MST 2013

Hello All,

Solicit your suggestion on the following.

I was trying to install the NCL precompiled binaries for Linux (non-openDap) following the web guidelines.

I am using Ubuntu 9.04 OS on a i386 (32-bit) machine with gcc 4.4.3

However, on executing commands like "ncargf90" or "ncargf77", the following appear on the terminal for both:
gfortran -fPIC -fno-second-underscore -fno-range-check -O0 -L/usr/local/ncl-4.3.2/lib -lncarg -lncarg_gks -lncarg_c -lX11 -lXext
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lX11
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I have tried with different versions of NCL precompiled binaries as well as installing libx11 but without success.

Kindly suggest how to overcome this.

P.S. I dont want to go for a full OS upgrade at this point of time.

thanks in advance.

best regards,
D. Swain