[ncl-install] need help in ncl installation

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Aug 29 15:54:19 MDT 2013

Dear Jayanti,

I recommend you download a precompiled NCL binary, rather than trying to build NCL from source code.

If you don't know UNIX very well, then building NCL from source code is going to be difficult.

Is there a reason why you want to build NCL from source code?

For an Ubuntu system, you should be able to use a Debian or RedHat precompiled binary (Debian is better).

For example, if you have a 64-bit system, then hopefully this binary will work for you:

ncl_ncarg-6.1.2.Linux_Debian6.0_x86_64_gcc445.tar.gz

Otherwise, for a 32-bit system, try this binary:

ncl_ncarg-6.1.2.Linux_Debian6.0_i686_gcc445.tar.gz

The step-by-step instructions for installing NCL from a precompiled binary can be found here:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/install.shtml

--Mary