[Met_help] [RAL-IT #103502] History for concerns about MODE-TD percentiles

Julie Prestopnik via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Mar 31 08:56:00 MDT 2022

Dear MET help team,

I am writing to in concerns of the computation of the intensity
percentiles in MODE-TD.

When applying a threshold to precipitation rate of 5mm/hour (see
attached files) I yield the following intensity percentiles for object
F026: [p10,p25,p50,p75,p90,p99] = [0.01,0.41,3.77,15.57,33.43,79.34]

I am a bit surprised that the small percentiles are <5mm/hour, as I had
assumed that MODE-TD computes the percentiles from the object's
convolved field, which would be all greater 5mm/hour. I now see that
MODE-TD computes the percentiles from the raw field, but I find this
unfortunate, since then it is integrated over grid cells that actually
don't show precipitation at all. Eventually I'd like to compute the mean
precipitation rate or integrated rain volume of an object, and I, just
like MODE-TD, do this by integrating the original/raw field over the
objects identified cells, which I fear of being in-accurate.

Well, I would just like to raise some concerns about this. I guess to
compute percentiles from the convolved field would be the better solution.

Best regards
Sebastian

Sebastian K. Müller
Earth System Physics Section
The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics
Strada Costiera 11
34100 Trieste, ITALY
phone: + 39 040 2240 438
email: smueller at ictp.it