[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #99740] History for Libpng warning with MET-9.1.3 in production on WCOSS Dell

Julie Prestopnik via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu May 6 09:10:02 MDT 2021

The MET-9.1.3 installed into operations on WCOSS Dell (
/gpfs/dell1/nco/ops/nwprod/met.v9.1.3/) is returning a libpng warning when
trying to read MRMS files. Here's an example of the output from
regrid_data_plane showing that MET reads all missing data from a MRMS file:

DEBUG 3: MetGrib2DataFile::data_plane() -> Found exact match for
'MergedReflectivityQCComposite/Z500' in GRIB2 record 1 field 1 of GRIB2
file
'/gpfs/dell2/ptmp/Logan.Dawson/com/MRMS/20210426/MergedReflectivityQCComposite_00.50_20210426-000000.grib2'

*libpng warning: Application built with libpng-1.2.59 but running with
1.5.13*

DEBUG 4:

DEBUG 4: Data plane information:

DEBUG 4:       plane min: -999

*DEBUG 4:       plane max: -999*

DEBUG 4:       scan mode: 0

DEBUG 4:      valid time: 20210426_000034

DEBUG 4:       lead time: 000000

DEBUG 4:       init time: 20210426_000034

DEBUG 4:     bitmap flag: 255

DEBUG 4:

*DEBUG 2: Range of input data (name="MergedReflectivityQCComposite";
level="Z500";) is -999 to -999.*

*DEBUG 2: Range of regridded data (name="MergedReflectivityQCComposite";
level="Z500";) is -999 to -999.*

DEBUG 1: Writing output file:
/gpfs/dell2/ptmp/Logan.Dawson/MergedReflectivityQCComposite_20210426-000000_g227.nc

This same issue previously occurred when MET-9.0.1 was installed on the
Dells in May/June 2020, and Julie found a resolution for the issue before
the MET-9.0.2 installation (see MET-help ticket #95364). The issue was
resolved with MET installs in the noscrub/emc.metplus space up through
MET-9.1. However, once this libpng warning issue was identified in the
nwprod/met.v9.1.3 installation, I found that the same issue shows up with
the emc.metplus/met/9.1.1 and emc.metplus/met/9.1.2 installations on the
Dell.

It seems as if the resolution from the previous MET-help ticket #95364
(adding LIBPNG to LDFLAGS in the compilation script) maybe didn't prevent
this problem from resurfacing in MET-9.1.1 and later installations? It
seems that we should take a look to see if we can find a fix before
MET-10.0 is released and installed on WCOSS.

Thanks,
Logan

--
Logan C. Dawson, Ph.D. (he/him/his)
Physical Scientist, Model Evaluation Group (VPPPG Branch)