[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #100177] History for Question on how to read netcdf files with gen_vx_mask metplus wrapper

Julie Prestopnik via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Jun 24 11:41:38 MDT 2021

Hi metplus help,

Would you be able to point me to any examples of using gen_vx_mask with a netcdf input file with grid information and some polyline file? Also, is python embedding enabled for this tool? If so, any examples? I am using MET 10.0.0 and METplus-4.0.

I have been looking at this example https://metplus.readthedocs.io/en/latest/generated/met_tool_wrapper/GenVxMask/GenVxMask.html#sphx-glr-generated-met-tool-wrapper-genvxmask-genvxmask-py . However, when I try swapping in my netcdf file for “GEN_VX_MASK_INPUT_TEMPLATE = modeloutput.nc” then gen_vx_mask fails. My netcdf file does contain “lat” and “lon” variables defining a regular lat_lon grid, but I guess these fields are not read by gen_vx_mask in the same way grib files can be read. Would you mind pointing me to any examples on how this can be done.

Thanks,
Scott