[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #99959] History for How to set up probabilistic fcst and obs filed parameters

George McCabe via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Jun 2 16:03:44 MDT 2021

George,

   I have a question to set up  probabilistic fcst and obs fields in
METplus conf file:
The forecast is the probability of 3hr preicp > 12.7.  The forecast  value
ranges from 0 ~ 100  (in %).
The verification is 3hr CCPA analysis.
The following  setting  in regular MET Config file works fine:

fcst = {
   field = [
      {
           name       = "PROB"; level="A03";
           prob       = { name = "APCP"; thresh_lo = 12.7; }
           cat_thresh = [ ==0.1 ];
      }
  ];
};

obs = {
   field = [
      {
         name = "APCP";
         level = [ "A03" ];
         cat_thresh = [ >12.7 ];
      }
   ];
};

Now I try to set up this in a METplus conf file like below:

FCST_GRID_STAT_VAR1_NAME = PROB
FCST_GRID_STAT_VAR1_LEVELS = A03
FCST_GRID_STAT_VAR1_OPTIONS = prob  = { name = "APCP"; thresh_lo = 12.7; }
cat_thresh = [ ==0.1 ]
OBS_GRID_STAT_VAR1_NAME = APCP_03
OBS_GRID_STAT_VAR1_LEVELS =  A03
OBS_GRID_STAT_VAR1_OPTIONS = cat_thresh = [ >12.7 ]

Not for sure the above  FCST/OBS  OPTIONS part.is correct or not.

Thanks

Binbin

--

Binbin Zhou