[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #99831] History for Bad Init Time in NetCDF file

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon Jul 12 11:30:38 MDT 2021

John, I am currently verifying global ensemble probability data against a model analysis (GALWEM) using Grid Stat.  I am using NCEP climo data also.  Running verification, in the NetCDF pairs file the climo data init_time_ut is negative since climo data is by definition from the past.  So, now I am using the NetCDF gridstat pairs file in SeriesAnalysis and that is where the trouble occurs.  Even though I am not using climo data in the SeriesAnalConfig file, I still get an error when processing the NetCDF pairs file:

ERROR  : get_att_unixtime(const NcVarInfo &, const ConcatString &, unixtime &) -> attribute "init_time_ut" should be an integer or a string.

I have attached the two configuration files and sent the NetCDF file via DOD Safe.   So a couple questions:

1)      Am I doing something wrong causing the negative climo UT time in the NetCDF file produced by Gridstat?

2)      Has this been corrected in later versions of MET (we are still on MET 8.1 - don't ask)?

3)      Why should SeriesAnalysis care about this if climo is not selected in the configuration file?

Worst case, I will have to write a script to correct the ut time in NetCDF gridstat file.  Is there an easy  algorithm to calculate the correct UT time?

Thanks
Bob Craig