[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #98641] History for MODE Threshold Issue

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Feb 17 10:47:39 MST 2021

Hello MET Help:

I'm having an issue with using MODE and having some objects appear much
larger than what I expect they should be. I am running MODE (v9.0) on 24 hr
snow accumulations. The first image is the 24 hr snow accumulation for
"Model A." The second image shows the MODE objects for a threshold of 1
inch. You can see the object extends too far into Indiana, Ohio, and
eastern Michigan than I would expect based on the accumulation map in the
first image. The third attachment is my configuration file that I used. The
data is being read from grib2 files.

I've done a few tests. The first test was lowering the first threshold in
the snow accumulation graphic to 0.99" (fourth attachment). You can with
that, the MODE object appears to match the light blue 0.99" area. I then
raised the threshold in my MODE code to 1.01." You can see that the object
now matches more closely with the expected 1 inch accumulation from the
first image attachment. I was wondering if you might know what is causing
this sensitivity and if there is a configuration option I could use to
mitigate it? I've seen this behavior in other models as well so I don't
believe it is input data related but haven't completely ruled that out. If
you have any thoughts or suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,
Ben Albright

--
Benjamin Albright, Phd.