[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #99478] History for METplus on Hera

Julie Prestopnik via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Apr 9 10:35:02 MDT 2021

Hi met_help,

I am learning to work on the extratropical cyclone tracks and their
verifications using METplus. There were issues on NCEP WCOSS concerning R
scripts. So with the help from Julie (P), I tried to run some scripts
on Hera. It appears the scripts tried to read the matched cyclone pairs and
could not read them in.

Here are the scripts on Hera:
  /scratch2/NCEPDEV/fv3-cam/noscrub/Guang.Ping.Lou/metplus_test
Line command:
master_metplus.py -c Plotter_fcstGFS_obsGFS_RPlotting_2.conf -c
usecase_2.conf

Error messages:
/scratch2/NCEPDEV/fv3-cam/noscrub/Guang.Ping.Lou/metplus_test/METplus_output/logs/master_metplus.log.20210408160214

As you could see in the file, it says:
"No BDECK files found searching for basin ...."
But the ADECK and BDECK are all there:
INPUT_BASE =
/scratch1/BMC/dtc/Julie.Prestopnik/METplus/METplus-4.0_sample_data/model_applications/tc_and_extra_tc/track_data/201412

Maybe it could not parse the file names correctly? Or the ADECK and BDECK
definition was not given correctly in the script
"Plotter_fcstGFS_obsGFS_RPlotting_2.conf" ?

Per Julie's instruction, I loaded following module:
module use /contrib/METplus/modulefiles
module load metplus/4.0.0-beta3

Your help in identifying the errors are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Guang Ping Lou
EMC/NCEP

It looks like you are having some issues setting up your use case to
run.
At first glance, I noticed your INPUT_BASE is pointing to the full
location
of your data:

INPUT_BASE =
/scratch1/BMC/dtc/Julie.Prestopnik/METplus/METplus-
4.0_sample_data/model_applications/tc_and_extra_tc/track_data/201412

What you should try is
INPUT_BASE =
/scratch1/BMC/dtc/Julie.Prestopnik/METplus/METplus-
4.0_sample_data/model_applications/tc_and_extra_tc

The METplus wrapper will search for the track_data directory below
your
INPUT_BASE.  I hope that makes sense.  Can you please try again using
the
INPUT_BASE above?

Regards,
Minna
---------------
Minna Win
Developmental Testbed Center
Phone: 303-497-8423
Fax:   303-497-8401
---------------
Pronouns: she/her

From: Guang Lou - NOAA Affiliate
Time: Thu Apr 08 17:05:41 2021

Hi Minna,

Thank you very much for your suggestion.
I modified the input path to
INPUT_BASE =
/scratch1/BMC/dtc/Julie.Prestopnik/METplus/METplus-
4.0_sample_data/model_applications/tc_and_extra_tc
as you suggested. But the results were the same. Here is the output:
/scratch2/NCEPDEV/fv3-
cam/noscrub/Guang.Ping.Lou/metplus_test/METplus_output/logs/master_metplus.log.20210408225638

Thanks,
Guang Ping

From: Minna Win
Time: Thu Apr 08 17:20:47 2021

my apologies, I run into this problem all the time and I forgot the
exact directory path.  I just re-ran locally and the *correct* path
should
be:

INPUT_BASE =
/scratch1/BMC/dtc/Julie.Prestopnik/METplus/METplus-4.0_sample_data

I verified by looking in the
parm/usse_cases/model_applications/tc_and_extra_tc/Plotter_fcstGFS_obsGFS_RPlotting.conf
file and the

TC_PAIRS_ADECK_INPUT_DIR =
{INPUT_BASE}/model_applications/medium_range/track_data

so your INPUT_BASE is the directory path just before the
model_applications/medium_range/track_data

Can you please try again, I think this latest change should work, it
works
for me :)

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,
Minna
---------------
Minna Win
Developmental Testbed Center
Phone: 303-497-8423
Fax:   303-497-8401
---------------
Pronouns: she/her

From: Guang Lou - NOAA Affiliate
Time: Thu Apr 08 17:43:47 2021

Hi Minna,

I tried the following 4 paths:
##INPUT_BASE =
/scratch1/BMC/dtc/Julie.Prestopnik/METplus/METplus-4.0_sample_data
##INPUT_BASE =
 /scratch1/BMC/dtc/Julie.Prestopnik/METplus/METplus-
4.0_sample_data/model_applications/tc_and_extra_tc
##INPUT_BASE =
/scratch1/BMC/dtc/Julie.Prestopnik/METplus/METplus-
4.0_sample_data/model_applications
INPUT_BASE = /scratch1/BMC/dtc/Julie.Prestopnik/METplus

All have the same error. It seems I am missing something on Hera. But
here
the scripts:
/scratch2/NCEPDEV/fv3-cam/noscrub/Guang.Ping.Lou/metplus_test
Here is my command line:
master_metplus.py -c Plotter_fcstGFS_obsGFS_RPlotting_2.conf -c
usecase_2.conf

Thanks for your help!
Guang Ping

From: Minna Win
Time: Thu Apr 08 18:07:27 2021

Hi Guang Ping,

I don't have access to hera, can you please send me the
usecases_2.conf
file and the metplus_final.conf file (it is where you set up your
OUTPUT_BASE)? I may need to have Julie retrieve some other files for
me
tomorrow, based on what I can find.

thanks,
Minna
---------------
Minna Win
Developmental Testbed Center
Phone: 303-497-8423
Fax:   303-497-8401
---------------
Pronouns: she/her

From: Julie Prestopnik
Time: Thu Apr 08 18:15:21 2021

Hi Guang Ping.

Please try again using:

INPUT_BASE =
/scratch1/BMC/dtc/Julie.Prestopnik/METplus/METplus-4.0_sample_data/

I was able to get a successful run with that path.

I checked this differences in our
"Plotter_fcstGFS_obsGFS_RPlotting_2.conf"
and saw that there are none:

> [guang_ping_20210407]$ diff
> /contrib/METplus/METplus-4.0.0-
beta3/parm/use_cases/model_applications/tc_and_extra_tc/Plotter_fcstGFS_obsGFS_RPlotting.conf
> Plotter_fcstGFS_obsGFS_RPlotting_2.conf
> [guang_ping_20210407]$

You can see my usecase_2.conf file here:

> /scratch1/BMC/dtc/Julie.Prestopnik/met_help/guang_ping_20210407

You can find the log file for my successful run here:
/scratch1/BMC/dtc/Julie.Prestopnik/met_help/guang_ping_20210407/out/logs/master_metplus.log.20210408235628

Please let us know how it goes.

Julie

--
Julie Prestopnik (she/her)
Software Engineer
Email: jpresto at ucar.edu

My working day may not be your working day.  Please do not feel
obliged to

From: Guang Lou - NOAA Affiliate
Time: Thu Apr 08 18:55:48 2021

Hi Julie,

It might have been the environment parameters that are not correct.
I copied your whole directory and modified the output path to mine so
that
it can write.
Then ran the scripts and got the same error messages.
Here is the working directory that I copied from you:
/scratch2/NCEPDEV/stmp1/Guang.Ping.Lou/Julie_20210407
here is the command:
master_metplus.py -c Plotter_fcstGFS_obsGFS_RPlotting_2.conf -c
usecase_2.conf

Hera are the errors:
 /scratch2/NCEPDEV/stmp1/Guang.Ping.Lou/Julie_20210407/out/logs/master_metplus.log.20210409003921

Note that in the directory, all the output files were generated by
your
run. The only file by my run is the above one.

Thank you and Minna for helping out.
Guang Ping

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 8:15 PM Julie Prestopnik via RT

<met_help at ucar.edu

From: Julie Prestopnik
Time: Thu Apr 08 19:04:20 2021

Hi Guang Ping.

I compared our metplus_final.conf files to see what the difference in
our
variables are and this is what I see:

[guang_ping_20210407]$ diff ./out/metplus_final.conf

/scratch2/NCEPDEV/stmp1/Guang.Ping.Lou/Julie_20210407/out/metplus_final.conf
> 2,3c2,3
> < CLOCK_TIME = 20210408235628
> < OUTPUT_BASE =
> /scratch1/BMC/dtc/Julie.Prestopnik/met_help/guang_ping_20210407/out
> ---
> > CLOCK_TIME = 20210409003921
> > OUTPUT_BASE =
/scratch2/NCEPDEV/stmp1/Guang.Ping.Lou/Julie_20210407/out
> 14c14
> < LOG_METPLUS =

/scratch1/BMC/dtc/Julie.Prestopnik/met_help/guang_ping_20210407/out/logs/master_metplus.log.20210408235628
> ---
> > LOG_METPLUS =

/scratch2/NCEPDEV/stmp1/Guang.Ping.Lou/Julie_20210407/out/logs/master_metplus.log.20210409003921
> 86c86
> < LOG_TIMESTAMP = 20210408235628
> ---
> > LOG_TIMESTAMP = 20210409003921

That all looks fine to me.   When I logged into hera, I ran:

> module use /contrib/METplus/modulefiles/
> module load metplus/4.0.0-beta3

Is that also what you are loading?

When I run "module list", I get:

> [guang_ping_20210407]$ module list
> Currently Loaded Modules:
>   1) contrib            3) anaconda/latest    5) nco/4.9.1        7)
> wgrib2/2.0.8   9) metplus/4.0.0-beta3
>   2) intel/18.0.5.274   4) met/10.0.0-beta3   6) wgrib/1.8.1.0b   8)
> R/3.5.0

Thanks for any help you can give on your environment.

Julie

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 6:55 PM Guang Lou - NOAA Affiliate via RT <
met_help at ucar.edu> wrote:

> [...]
> > > their
WCOSS
> > cyclone

>  /scratch2/NCEPDEV/fv3-cam/noscrub/Guang.Ping.Lou/metplus_test
Plotter_fcstGFS_obsGFS_RPlotting_2.conf
> -c

> /scratch2/NCEPDEV/fv3-
cam/noscrub/Guang.Ping.Lou/metplus_test/METplus_output/logs/master_metplus.log.20210408160214

> /scratch1/BMC/dtc/Julie.Prestopnik/METplus/METplus-
4.0_sample_data/model_applications/tc_and_extra_tc/track_data/201412

> ADECK
> > > and

> > --
> > Julie Prestopnik (she/her)
> > Software Engineer
> > National Center for Atmospheric Research
> > Research Applications Laboratory
> > Email: jpresto at ucar.edu
> >
> > My working day may not be your working day.  Please do not feel

Julie Prestopnik (she/her)
Software Engineer
Email: jpresto at ucar.edu

From: Guang Lou - NOAA Affiliate
Time: Fri Apr 09 06:56:13 2021

Hi Julie,

I ran these two lines too:
  module use /contrib/METplus/modulefiles
  module load metplus/4.0.0-beta3

The loaded modules on my side are:
module list
Currently Loaded Modules:
  1) netcdf/4.6.1      4) grads/2.2.1            7) intel/18.0.5.274
10)
nco/4.9.1       13) R/3.5.0
  2) impi/2018.4.274   5) imagemagick/7.0.8-53   8) anaconda/latest
11)
wgrib/1.8.1.0b  14) metplus/4.0.0-beta3
  3) hpss/hpss         6) gempak/7.4.2           9) met/10.0.0-beta3
12)
wgrib2/2.0.8

So both  "9) met/10.0.0-beta3" and " 14) metplus/4.0.0-beta3" are
invoked.

It's just strange that it could not find the data.
Thank you very much!
Guang Ping

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 9:04 PM Julie Prestopnik via RT

<met_help at ucar.edu

guang.ping.lou at noaa.gov

From: Julie Prestopnik
Time: Fri Apr 09 10:17:47 2021

Ah, I think maybe I have found the cause of the problem.

Since this was quite strange, I poked around looking in the input
directory and noticed that permissions were not open for reading for
"other":

> drwxr-s---

I don't know how that came to be, but I just opened them:

> drwxr-sr-x

I suspect if you try the run again it will be successful this time.
Please
give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Julie

guang.ping.lou at noaa.gov

> > and
NCEP
> > WCOSS
> > some

> > >  /scratch2/NCEPDEV/fv3-cam/noscrub/Guang.Ping.Lou/metplus_test
> > Plotter_fcstGFS_obsGFS_RPlotting_2.conf
> > > -c

> /scratch2/NCEPDEV/fv3-
cam/noscrub/Guang.Ping.Lou/metplus_test/METplus_output/logs/master_metplus.log.20210408160214

> /scratch1/BMC/dtc/Julie.Prestopnik/METplus/METplus-
4.0_sample_data/model_applications/tc_and_extra_tc/track_data/201412

Or the
> > > ADECK

> > appreciated.

> obliged

> > Julie Prestopnik (she/her)
> > Software Engineer
> > National Center for Atmospheric Research
> > Research Applications Laboratory
> > Email: jpresto at ucar.edu
> >
> > My working day may not be your working day.  Please do not feel
obliged

Julie Prestopnik (she/her)
Software Engineer
Email: jpresto at ucar.edu

From: Guang Lou - NOAA Affiliate
Time: Fri Apr 09 10:32:02 2021

Yeah, it went through, Julie, Thanks!

Best,
Guang Ping

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 12:17 PM Julie Prestopnik via RT

> Ah, I think maybe I have found the cause of the problem.
>
> Since this was quite strange, I poked around looking in the input
> directory and noticed that permissions were not open for reading for
> "other":
>
> > drwxr-s---
>

> I don't know how that came to be, but I just opened them:
>
> > drwxr-sr-x
>

> I suspect if you try the run again it will be successful this time.
Please
> give it a try and let us know how it goes.
>
> Julie
>

> On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 6:56 AM Guang Lou - NOAA Affiliate via RT <
> met_help at ucar.edu> wrote:

> > Hi Julie,
> >
> > I ran these two lines too:
> >   module use /contrib/METplus/modulefiles
> >   module load metplus/4.0.0-beta3
> >
> > The loaded modules on my side are:
> > module list
> > Currently Loaded Modules:
> >   1) netcdf/4.6.1      4) grads/2.2.1            7)
intel/18.0.5.274  10)

<met_help at ucar.edu

guang.ping.lou at noaa.gov

From: Julie Prestopnik
Time: Fri Apr 09 10:33:26 2021

Fantastic!  Thank you for letting us know, and my apologies for the
trouble!  I'll go ahead and close this ticket, but please feel free to
open
a new one if you have any other questions or problems.

Have a great weekend!

Julie

<met_help at ucar.edu

> wrote:
>
> > Ah, I think maybe I have found the cause of the problem.
> >
> > Since this was quite strange, I poked around looking in the input
> > directory and noticed that permissions were not open for reading
for
> > "other":
> >
> > > drwxr-s---
> >

> > I don't know how that came to be, but I just opened them:
> >
> > > drwxr-sr-x
> >

> > I suspect if you try the run again it will be successful this
time.
> Please
> > give it a try and let us know how it goes.
> >
> > Julie
> >

> > On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 6:56 AM Guang Lou - NOAA Affiliate via RT <
> > met_help at ucar.edu> wrote:

> > > Hi Julie,
> > >
> > > I ran these two lines too:
> > >   module use /contrib/METplus/modulefiles
> > >   module load metplus/4.0.0-beta3
> > >
> > > The loaded modules on my side are:
> > > module list
> > > Currently Loaded Modules:
> > >   1) netcdf/4.6.1      4) grads/2.2.1            7)
intel/18.0.5.274
> [...]
> upon.
> guang.ping.lou at noaa.gov

> > tracks
> NCEP
> > run
> > matched

cam/noscrub/Guang.Ping.Lou/metplus_test

> /scratch2/NCEPDEV/fv3-
cam/noscrub/Guang.Ping.Lou/metplus_test/METplus_output/logs/master_metplus.log.20210408160214

> /scratch1/BMC/dtc/Julie.Prestopnik/METplus/METplus-
4.0_sample_data/model_applications/tc_and_extra_tc/track_data/201412

> > the

> > > obliged

> obliged

> > Julie Prestopnik (she/her)
> > Software Engineer
> > National Center for Atmospheric Research
> > Research Applications Laboratory
> > Email: jpresto at ucar.edu
> >
> > My working day may not be your working day.  Please do not feel

Julie Prestopnik (she/her)
Software Engineer
Email: jpresto at ucar.edu