[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #96739] History for PoP12 smoothing in grid_stat

George McCabe via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Sep 16 12:02:44 MDT 2020

Greetings
I could use some help understanding what causes smoothing to occur inside
of grid_stat.  Currently, when I run for PoP12, I see the following for
each mask when using -v 4:

DEBUG 2: Processing poA12 versus APCP_12A12, for smoothing method
NEAREST(1), over region conus, using 1326186 matched pairs.
DEBUG 2: Computing Probabilistic Statistics.
DEBUG 2: Processing poA12 versus APCP_12A12, for smoothing method
NEAREST(1), over region CR, using 431071 matched pairs.
DEBUG 2: Computing Probabilistic Statistics.

For PoP12, my inputs are a single model (NDFD, Blend, etc) and the URMA
QPF12.  I use regrid_data_plane to create netCDF files for each model,
using nearest neighbor interpolation (planning on switching to using the
regrid within grid_stat soon).  I use pcp_combine to add two URMA QPF06
grids together, then use regrid_data_plane to resize the grid.  I have
tested with nearest neighbor and budget interpolation.  Either way, the
smoothing above still takes place.

The memory usage for grid_stat is a bit higher when smoothing is involved.
For most elements, I can run about 40 jobs in parallel on a single node.
For PoP12, I can only run about 5 jobs in parallel (more testing is needed
here, after the current dev outage on venus).  If possible, I would like to
avoid the smoothing step in grid_stat.  I'm not sure if I'm missing a
setting somewhere in grid_stat, a setting in regrid_data_plane, or in
pcp_combine.  If you have any information on what I might be missing, I
would appreciate it.

Probably not relevant, but PoP12 is the only element that I am running
through grid_stat currently for probabilistic scores.

If you need any more info from me, please let me know.

John Wagner
Verification Task Lead
NOAA/National Weather Service
Meteorological Development Laboratory