[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #95840] History for question for ascii file

Howard Soh via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Oct 15 17:43:12 MDT 2020

Good morning,
I need you advice on what to do when I dont have the level for the
point observation
ASCII file
<https://dtcenter.org/metplus-practical-session-guide-july-2019/session-2-grid-obs/met-tool-ascii2nc-0>
is it better to input 9999 as missing value or 1 since it is hourly data ?

Thank you

Tatiana

--

*Tatiana D. Gonzalez, PhD.*
*Analysis & Nowcast Branch*

*Analyze, Forecast and Support Office*

*National Weather Service**SSMC2, Room 14115*
*Silver Spring, Maryland*

*Ph. (301) 427-9500 *

ascii2nc reads and saves values as is. It does not handle the missing
value. MET tools use -9999 as missing value internally. It's better to
put -9999 as the missing value.

Cheers,
Howard

From: Tatiana Gonzalez - NOAA Federal
Time: Tue Jul 07 11:30:28 2020

Thank you. the nc file will be used for pointstat and MODE. Does this
change things?

From: Howard Soh
Time: Tue Oct 13 10:25:12 2020

I'm sorry for the late response.

The missing values are ignored by pointstat and MODE. If the missing
value is not specified, they will be processed as the valid data.

Cheers,
Howard