[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #95119] History for ascii2nc

David Fillmore via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Oct 13 11:01:44 MDT 2020

I am currently trying to use MET to verify ash mass over 10000m in my model
with some obs. There are two questions I have about using ascii2nc:
1. I only know the lat, lon, height (msl), ash mass for each time, I put
height as column 6, how about column 8 and 9? Can I put the height as well?
Are columns 8 and 9 used in the tool at all?

2. The first column: how to decide what I should use? "ADPUPA" or something
else? Will this name be recognized by any model that could be read by MET?

Although I did get the output using ascii2nc, but I am not sure this is
correct or not.
Here is my observation data:
/gpfs/dell2/emc/modeling/noscrub/Binyu.Wang/MET/Obs/Raikoke/Himawari_ash.txt_22-173000
Here is the input for asc2nc function:
/gpfs/dell2/emc/modeling/noscrub/Binyu.Wang/MET/Obs/Raikoke/output

Please let me know if there is any problem with that. Thank you.

Binyu

From: binyu.wang at noaa.gov
Time: Sun May 03 13:53:30 2020

Thank you very much!
Binyu

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 6:33 PM David Fillmore via RT

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Thu May 21 14:05:06 2020

Binyu,

Just wondering if this is still an open issue.  Looks like this ticket
has
been open for several days but we never got back to you on it.

John

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 1:54 PM binyu.wang at noaa.gov via RT

From: binyu.wang at noaa.gov
Time: Thu May 21 14:42:56 2020

Hello,
Thank you for getting back to me, John. Yes I am still waiting for
help.

Binyu

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 4:16 PM John Halley Gotway via RT

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Fri May 29 16:25:44 2020

Binyu,

There are two questions I have about using ascii2nc:
1. I only know the lat, lon, height (msl), ash mass for each time, I
put
height as column 6, how about column 8 and 9? Can I put the height as
well?
Are columns 8 and 9 used in the tool at all?

-----------------

Here is a description of the ascii2nc input columns from the usage
statement of the tool:
 The "met_point" ASCII format consists of 11 columns:
Message_Type Station_ID Valid_Time(YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS)
Lat(Deg North) Lon(Deg East) Elevation(msl)
Var_Name(or GRIB_Code) Level Height(msl or agl)
QC_String Observation_Value

Column 6 (Elevation) is for the elevation of the observing station. If
you
don't have an elevation for the observing station, just fill it with
an
"NA" value. The station elevation is only used when applying the
"topo_mask" logic in the Point-Stat configuration file. When verifying
against observations at the surface, that logic checks to see if the
model
topography at the observation station differs too much from the
station
elevation listed. By default this logic is disabled and I don't think
it
would be useful to you.

Column 8 is the pressure level of the observation. Or it's the
accumulation
interval for precip obs. If you have a pressure level for this data,
put it
there. If not, fill with NA. The pressure level is used when verifying
forecasts at a specific pressure level or range or pressure levels.

Column 9 is the height of the observation in either MSL or AGL. It's
the
user's responsibility to make sure the model heights are consistent
with
the observation heights with regards to MSL versus AGL. The height is
used
when verifying forecasts at the specific height or range of heights.

-----------------

2. The first column: how to decide what I should use? "ADPUPA" or
something
else? Will this name be recognized by any model that could be read by
MET?

-----------------

Is these obs exist at the surface, I'd recommend naming them "ADPSFC".
If
not, you're welcome to use whatever message type string you'd like.
But
whatever string you choose, you'll need to specify that string the
"message_type" setting of the Point-Stat configuration file.

-----------------

Although I did get the output using ascii2nc, but I am not sure this
is
correct or not.
Here is my observation data:
/gpfs/dell2/emc/modeling/noscrub/Binyu.Wang/MET/Obs/Raikoke/Himawari_ash.txt_22-
173000
Here is the input for asc2nc function:
/gpfs/dell2/emc/modeling/noscrub/Binyu.Wang/MET/Obs/Raikoke/output

-----------------

I looked at this file
(/gpfs/dell2/emc/modeling/noscrub/Binyu.Wang/MET/Obs/Raikoke/output)
and
would recommend:
Column 1: See message type comment above.
Column 2: station id is fine.
Column 3: Timestamp is fine.
Column 4/5: lat/lon values are fine.
Column 6: Set to NA since you don't have the station elevation.
Column 7: ash variable name is fine
Column 8: Set to NA since you don't have a pressure level.
Column 9: I see you converted the height from KM to M. And that's
fine,
assuming your model output is in meters as well.
Column 10: Keep it set to NA since you don't have QC info.
Column 11: The observation value is fine.

From: David Fillmore
Time: Tue Oct 13 11:01:43 2020

Closed.