[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #97360] History for MTD Questions

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Nov 10 09:35:59 MST 2020

I'm writing this letter because there are a couple questions about MODE-Time Domain (MTD) that I wish to have your expert opinion on.

When I gave a presentation about my work, some people asked me about how the merging and splitting of objects are done. I'm running MTD on a single field (mtd -single xxx). So there is no matching between two fields. However, I believe there is still merging and splitting of objects in the same field. I did not do any configuration for merge_flag and merge_thresh, so I think the default setting about merging are used, which is the double thresholding merging with a merge threshold of 1.25. So the simple objects are merged when they are connected under the mask of 1.25 threshold, and split up when then are no longer connected under the mask of 1.25 threshold. Am I right?

If I use the merge_flag = ENGINE setup then the field is duplicated and compared to themselves using a fuzzy engine approach with the same setting from my configuration file. Will this be better than the double thresholding method?

When using mtd -single, the mtd output has only "simple objects", no "cluster objects" (The output files are mtd_20170501_000000V_2d.txt, mtd_20170501_000000V_3d_single_simple.txt, and mtd_20170501_000000V_obj.nc). But these "simple objects" are in fact clusters because they having gone through merging (even though no matching). Am I right?

Thank you very much for your time and help!

Sincerely,
Yuxing