[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #94991] History for MODE Analysis [NetCDF: HDF error w/StageIV + WRF Output]

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed May 20 14:27:52 MDT 2020

I'm trying to run ''mode" analysis for WRFv3.7/8.1 output (RAINNC+RAINC)
with respect to summed, 24hr StageIV precipitation data (over 72hrs).
Unfortunately, I encountered the following error while running
./bin/mode... According to my mode.log file, I need 3 arguments for my
forecasted dataset (I only provided 3 inputs while running mode).
[image: image.png]
Can you provide some feedback to help me resolve this problem?

Here is my procedure:
1) Get WRF total accumulation .nc file
AFWA_TOTPRECIP: "AFWA Diagnostic: Total simulation precip"
1.a) Load NCO
module load nco/4.4.0
1.b) Process data for final wrfout hour
ncks -v AFWA_TOTPRECIP wrfout_d01_2006-02-13_06:00:00 AFWA_TOTPRECIP.nc
2) Sum StageIV precipitation Analysis
2.a) Extract tar/.Z files
tar -xvf [file_name]
gunzip *.Z
2.b) Sum three, 24hrly StageIV precipitation files.
At the met-8.1.2 directory:
./bin/pcp_combine -sum 00000000_000000 24 20060213_120000 72 sum_test.nc
-pcpdir ./MODE_PROCEDURE/STAGEIV_Test/
3) Run 'mode'
At the met-8.1.2 directory:
./bin/mode ./MODE_PROCEDURE/MODE_Files_nc/AFWA_TOTPRECIP.nc
./MODE_PROCEDURE/MODE_Files_nc/sum_test.nc
./MODE_PROCEDURE/MODE_Files_nc/MODEConfig_APCP_WWE -log mode.log

I believe by adding "to_grid    = FCST;" into the mode configuration file,
regridding sum_test.nc to the grid of AFWA_TOTPRECIP.nc is unnecessary.

Any help will greatly be appreciated!

I attached my configuration file,  AFWA_TOTPRECIP.nc,  sum_test.nc, and
mode.log if it helps!
--

*Sincerely,*

Michael S. Walters | B.S. Atmospheric Science
Graduate Research Assistant
Master's Student | Civil and Environmental Engineering
261 Glenbrook Road. Storrs, CT, 06269-3037
University of Connecticut
Phone: 774-254-6608