[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #95202] History for Point Stat -- verification by 'bins'?

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri May 8 17:11:27 MDT 2020

Hi all,

A bit of a weird strategy question here...and I apologize if this has been covered somewhere in the archives, and I just missed it!

I'm wondering if I can set up some verification by 'bins' (regarding wind speed, but that's not overly important at the moment).

Basically, I want to set up bins....for example 40-45 mph, 45-50mph, 50-55 mph....where if the forecast and observation land in the same 'bin', then its a hit.  So, a 47 mph forecast that was observed at 49 mph would hit, while an observation of 43 mph would miss.

Is there someway to do this from MET? In a config file?   I'm a bit leery of having to go in and postprocess all the forecasts (and ESPECIALLY leery of postprocessing the observations) to fit these bins.  I guess this is a 'neighborhood' style of approach, but by value magnitude, and not spatially.

Any help and/or input would be greatly appreciated, and as always, thanks for your time!

-Tom

Tom Workoff
Senior Scientist
Environmental Energy Delivery
FirstEnergy
Office: 330-436-1475
tworkoff at firstenergycorp.com<mailto:tworkoff at firstenergycorp.com>

The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete the original message.