[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #94711] History for FHO line type in METviewer

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon Mar 30 17:48:10 MDT 2020

Hi, there,

I thought we used to have the FHO line type in METviewer available for
plotting.  For some reason I can't seem to find it.  Perhaps there is
something I'm missing.  Can METviewer plot the FHO line type?

Thanks!

Perry

METviewer processes and loads FHO line type data to the database but
do not use it  for plotting.

Tatiana

From: perry.shafran at noaa.gov
Time: Wed Mar 25 09:38:00 2020

Oh!  Has this always been the case?  I'm still using VSDB for certain
applications, but when I move over fully to MET, maybe I can use the
CTC
line type instead.

I thought in the past we could plot FHO data...

Perry

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 11:31 AM Tatiana Burek via RT

From: perry.shafran at noaa.gov
Time: Mon Mar 30 13:36:23 2020

I have a question related to this:

Apparently I can make a threshold plot while choosing the CTC line
type for
a VSDB database, even though it's VSDB and has only FHO and not CTC.
METexpress plots a CTC curve, and she also was able to re-create the
same
plot on METviewer.  That plot is attached.

What is being plotted here?  Is METviewer processing the FHO data to
output
as CTC data for plotting?

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Mon Mar 30 14:18:02 2020

Perry,

This was my first time digging into the METviewer code, but I'm pretty
sure
I found it.  METviewer loads the VSDB FHO lines into the MET CTC
table.

You can see this on line 1490 of this file:
https://github.com/NCAR/METviewer/blob/master/java/edu/ucar/metviewer/db/mysql/MysqlLoadDatabaseManager.java

} else if (listToken[6].startsWith("FHO")) {
mvLoadStatInsertData.setLineType("CTC");
String[] threshArr = listToken[6].split("FHO");
if (threshArr.length > 1) {
thresh = threshArr[1];
}
}

From: perry.shafran at noaa.gov
Time: Mon Mar 30 14:42:18 2020

Hi, John,

Can I trust that the curve plotted using this method gives us the
correct
statistics?  Does it somehow convert FHO into CTC?

Thanks!

Perry

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 4:18 PM John Halley Gotway via RT

<met_help at ucar.edu

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Mon Mar 30 14:46:53 2020

Yes, you can trust those.  METviewer converts the VSDB FHO rates into
CTC
counts in MET.

It's applying the correct conversion logic starting on line 1998 of
that
source code file:
https://github.com/NCAR/METviewer/blob/master/java/edu/ucar/metviewer/db/mysql/MysqlLoadDatabaseManager.java

So yes, your results should be correct.

John

From: perry.shafran at noaa.gov
Time: Mon Mar 30 14:49:22 2020

Excellent news!  I'm guessing that's the same in METexpress?  Is this
conversion part of the load into the database?

Perry

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 4:47 PM John Halley Gotway via RT

From: John Halley Gotway
Time: Mon Mar 30 14:59:48 2020

Yes, that's correct.  The conversion is done during the database load
step.  Both METviewer and METexpress draw data from the same MET
database.

John