[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #94555] History for MODE tool

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Tue Mar 17 18:06:29 MDT 2020

Good afternoon,

My name is Marcus Johnson, and I am currently employing the MODE tool for rotation and hail research at the University of Oklahoma. I've come across some inconsistencies looking at MODE object output and my own interest functions. My total interest function is only weighted using boundary and centroid distance, with each taking the form = (max_centroid_dist - x)/(max_centroid_dist). max_centroid_dist is defined as 39.0/grid_res (3 km), or a unitless 13. These functions are defined in the input file as follows:

centroid_dist = (
      (            0.0, 1.0 )
      (  0.5*max_centroid_dist, 0.5 )
      ( max_centroid_dist, 0.0 )
   );

   boundary_dist = (
      (            0.0, 1.0 )
      (  0.5*max_centroid_dist, 0.5 )
      ( max_centroid_dist, 0.0 )
   );

Since confidence maps are equal to 1 for the preceding attributes, the total interest function should reflect a linear combination of the two interest functions equally weighted by 0.5. Some of the .txt output doesn't reflect this though. At least one forecast cluster object (i.e., objects after merging only in their respective fields has taken place) matches with an observation object with centroid distance of 26.22, which twice exceeds the max_centroid_dist. Some of the object pairs with greater centroid and boundary distance have a larger interest than other pairs. I have attached the sample *obj.txt output file and my input file for completeness.

Thank you for your help!
Marcus