[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #95459] History for Verification of Atmospheric Motion Vectors using PointStat

Howard Soh via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Jun 19 14:53:35 MDT 2020

We generate atmospheric motion vectors (AMVs) using GEOS imagery and were hoping to use PointStat and StatAnalysis to produce some verification metrics on how well the algorithm to produce the AMVs was doing compared to RAOB and aircraft observations.

The AMVs that we are generating output the winds in u and v components in m/s as well as the vertical placement in pressure and height and are in NetCDF format. I can provide an example file of the AMVs if it would be helpful. I then obtain MADIS RAOB and aircraft data from NCEP, and using madis2nc convert this data into the format wanted by MET. I created a PointStat configuration file that is edited for the forecast and observation fields to hopefully work with the data. I then run the following command:

point_stat amp_abi-goes16_B14BT_YU_20200530T1200Z.nc 20200530_madis2nc.nc /home/wrf/MET/met-9.0/data/config/PointStatConfig_custom3_avi -outdir /home/wrf/MET/data/point_stat/ -log amp_5_30.log -v 4

PointStat then errors indicating that it is having trouble reading the AMV file. I have attached both the configuration file as well as the output log to the email. Is there something that I need to do to the AMV NetCDF file before using PointStat that I can not aware of, or is there a better method of verification using MET to compare point motion vectors at various heights to observational data?

Thank you for any help that you can provide!

Josh Boustead

Meteorologist/Modeler
PEMDAS Technology and Innovation
Norman, OK 73069

--

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message and all attachments
transmitted with it may contain legally privileged and confidential