[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #95577] History for Regridding with different projections/coordinate systems and WGS84

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Jun 19 12:43:25 MDT 2020

Hello folks,

we have several current issues with regridding (i.e. not just MET related), but we have been wondering to what extent these issues might go away when we use MET.

A look at the MET user guide provides some insights into the regrid option. The guide isn't specific about the fact that the "from" and "to" grids needs to be from the same projection/coordinate system, but we suspect that this is the case (or we haven't tried it is the other way of putting it!)

We have a lot of head scratching around rotated lat-lon grids as well as observation data sets (mainly) which are in WGS84 which causes no end of headaches... when we need to regrid the model to the observations for example. To what extent are these already supported or will be supported? There is the feeling that preprocessing and storing data in different projections before using MET is inefficient (but for now we have no choice). It would be better done on the fly and more efficient.

Specifically WGS84 is an issue for GPM/TRMM data. It is also an issue for scatterometer data (even though scatterometer data can be treated as point observations).

Regards
Marion

--
Dr Marion Mittermaier     Manager: Model diagnostics and novel verification

Met Office   FitzRoy Road   Exeter   EX1 3PB   United Kingdom
Tel:  +44 (0) 330 135 1604
E-mail: marion.mittermaier at metoffice.gov.uk<mailto:marion.mittermaier at metoffice.gov.uk>  http://www.metoffice.gov.uk<http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/>

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/people/marion-mittermaier

I am co-chair of the WMO WWRP Joint Working Group on Forecast Verification Research (JWGFVR) http://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/arep/wwrp/new/Forecast_Verification.html