[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #95731] History for Using MET to evaluate WRF with MADIS NETCDF data

Julie Prestopnik via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Jul 10 09:33:14 MDT 2020

Good morning MET help people!

I’m trying to use MET to evaluate precipitation skill in a bunch of model data we have from WRF and GFS runs.  Initially, I’m focused on a high resolution WRF domain, at 1-hourly intervals in GriB2 format to compare with MADIS NETCDF output I have (also in 1-hourly files).  I’ve read through the MET users manual to try to figure out what steps I have to perform and how to set up the configuration files, but I am either not understanding the manual or missing something.

1st question:  do I really need to run the MADIS2NC tool on the NETCDF files?  I’ve done so, but the output of MADIS2NC removes most of the data only leaving information about the station in the resulting .nc file.

Since I’m comparing 1-hourly WRF output to 1-hourly MADIS/METAR (or mesonet) data, I don’t need to run PCP_COMBINE (I will when looking at other 3-hourly WRF or GFS output).

Leading me to my second question:  I cannot figure out a proper Grid_stat configuration file to compare the WRF data against the MADIS data.  I have searched your website, googled the topic, and asked a number of others (with no luck).  Is there a sample configuration file you can provide for comparing WRF 1-hourly files to MADIS NetCDF data?

3rd question:  Am I doing this all wrong?

John Eylander

--

John Eylander
Hydrologic Systems Branch