[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #93039] History for Absurdly high ME2

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Jan 17 14:30:12 MST 2020

I am getting some absurdly high mean square errors for every one of my
variables (wind speed, wind direction, relative humidity, dew point
depression, and air temperature) on each vertical pressure level.  These
values range from the thousands to the 10s of millions.  How can I diagnose
the cause of these massive errors?

Some context:

.        I am running point_stat

.        The command is

 point_stat PYTHON_NUMPY ${OBFILE} ${CONFIG}       \

                                  -v 0                      \

                                  -outdir ${PSOUT}          \

                                  -log
${PSOUT}/${VAR_NAME}${WIND_FLAG}_TAU${FCST_HR}_point_stat.log \

                                  -obs_valid_beg 20010101   \

                                  -obs_valid_end 20200101

.        I've tailored my config file so that the vertical levels of both
the fcst and obs are relatively near, so this cannot be a vertical mismatch
issue

Justin

Justin Tsu

Marine Meteorology Division