[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #93335] History for Northern Hemisphere Mask

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Fri Jan 17 14:29:36 MST 2020

I had a question, we recently upgraded to version 8.1.2 from version 5.1

When I ran grid_stat on version 5.1 I had created a Northern Hemisphere
poly, so that I could calculate 500mb Height ACC scores from 0.5 global
model output. I define my NH.poly as follows:

NH

20 -179

20 179

80 179

80 -179

20 -179

When i ran using version 5.1, it said that I used 259,920 matched pairs for
the FULL region and 85,919 for the NH region.

But when I use version 8.1.2 using the same poly definition and a config
file I changed to mimic the 5.1 version config. I get less matched pairs
for the NH region (479 matched pairs) but the same for the FULL.

 Output below:

DEBUG 2: Processing HGT/P500 versus HGT/P500, for smoothing method
NEAREST(1), over region FULL, using 259559 matched pairs.

DEBUG 2: Computing Categorical Statistics.

DEBUG 2: Computing Continuous Statistics.

DEBUG 2: Computing Scalar Partial Sums.

DEBUG 2: Processing HGT/P500 versus HGT/P500, for smoothing method
NEAREST(1), over region NH, using 479 matched pairs.

DEBUG 2: Computing Categorical Statistics.

DEBUG 2: Computing Continuous Statistics.

DEBUG 2: Computing Scalar Partial Sums.

DEBUG 2: Computing Gradient DX(1)/DY(1) Statistics over region FULL, using
258840 matched pairs.

DEBUG 2: Computing Gradient DX(1)/DY(1) Statistics over region NH, using
479 matched pairs.

DEBUG 2: Processing HGT/P500 versus HGT/P500, for smoothing method
NBRHD_CIRCLE(1), raw thresholds of >0.0 and >0.0, over region FULL, using
259920 matched pairs.

DEBUG 2: Computing Neighborhood Categorical Statistics.

DEBUG 2: Computing Neighborhood Continuous Statistics.

DEBUG 2: Processing HGT/P500 versus HGT/P500, for smoothing method
NBRHD_CIRCLE(1), raw thresholds of >0.0 and >0.0, over region NH, using 479
matched pairs.

DEBUG 2: Computing Neighborhood Categorical Statistics.

DEBUG 2: Computing Neighborhood Continuous Statistics.

Do you have any idea why this may be happening with the new version?
Obviously I would want more matched pairs. I attached the GridStat config
file I am using. Thanks!

Allan Huffman