[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #94050] History for Neighborhood statistics with NMEP variables

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Feb 5 15:46:43 MST 2020

I'm attempting to compute neighborhood statistics, specifically FSS, using
the new neighborhood maximum ensemble probability variables in the
EnsembleStat output. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to unlock the
config combination that results in the neighborhood line types being
computed and was hoping for some guidance at this point. The following is
my environment and GridStat executable on Jet (generated by
METplus wrappers):

*export MODEL="HRRRE"; export
FCST_VAR="APCP_06_A06_ENS_NMEP_ge12.7_NBRHD169_GAUSSIAN1"; export
OBS_VAR="APCP_06"; export LEVEL="A06"; export OBTYPE="STAGEIV"; export
CONFIG_DIR="/home/amb-verif/ensemble/config/met"; export FCST_FIELD="{
name=\"APCP_06_A06_ENS_NMEP_ge12.7_NBRHD169_GAUSSIAN1\"; level=\"A06\";
prob=TRUE; cat_thresh=[==0.1]; }"; export OBS_FIELD="{ name=\"APCP_06\";
level=\"A06\"; cat_thresh=[ >=12.7 ]; }"; export
INPUT_BASE="/home/amb-verif/ensemble/verif/precip/HRRRE/realtime"; export
MET_VALID_HHMM="0203"; export FCST_TIME="006"; export
MET_TMP_DIR="/home/amb-verif/ensemble/verif/precip/HRRRE/realtime/tmp";*

*/contrib/met/9.0_beta2/bin/grid_stat -v 2
/home/amb-verif/ensemble/verif/precip/HRRRE/realtime/20200203-18z/ensemble_stat/ensemble_stat_006_20200203_180000V_ens.nc
/home/amb-verif/ensemble/verif/precip/StageIV/realtime/20200203-18z/stageIV_06hr_precip.nc
/home/amb-verif/ensemble/config/met/GridStatConfig_APCP_ENS -outdir
/home/amb-verif/ensemble/verif/precip/HRRRE/realtime/20200203-18z/grid_stat*

In the MET config file, "GridStatConfig_APCP_ENS", I am running a Gaussian
smoother on the observations along with applying the same neighborhood
rules that were used in the creation of the NMEP variables in EnsembleStat:

*interp = {*
*   field      = OBS;*
*   vld_thresh = 0.75;*
*   shape      = CIRCLE;*
*   gaussian_dx     = 3.0;*
*   gaussian_radius = 25;*
*   type = [ { method = GAUSSIAN; width  = 1; } ];*
*}*
*nbrhd = {*
*   field      = OBS;*
*   shape      = CIRCLE;*
*   width      = [ 13 ];*
*   cov_thresh = [ >=0.01 ];*
*   vld_thresh = 0.75;*
*}*

What I was hoping this would do would be to calculate an obs neighborhood
fraction against the desired threshold that would allow proper comparison
to the NMEP variables being ingested. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that
is what GridStat is doing, either when setting "prob=TRUE", which yields
empty neighborhood line types, or "prob_as_scalar=TRUE", which gives me an
apples-to-oranges result comparing the NMEP QPF probabilities to the actual
precip observed instead of the neighborhood frequency.

Sorry if this is unclear (let me know if I can clear anything up), but is
there a way that this can be done that I'm missing?

Thanks!

Jeff

Jeff Hamilton
Jeffrey.A.Hamilton at noaa.gov
CIRES Research Associate               phone: 303-497-7312
NOAA/OAR/ESRL/GSD/ADB       fax: 303-497-4176
325 Broadway, R/GSD1                    DSRC Room 2B604
Boulder, CO 80305