[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #93965] History for series_analysis question

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon Feb 3 09:29:42 MST 2020

Hi there,

we're looking at scatterometer winds within series_analysis. Clearly the ascending and descending passes do not cover exactly the same regions every time. When computing stats on the grid, it means that the number of values for each location varies from grid point to grid point.

How is the meaning done? i.e. is the grid-based ob-count used to compute the mean scores?

See below.

[cid:image003.png at 01D5D6C3.C7DFAFF0][cid:image004.png at 01D5D6C3.C7DFAFF0]

Thanks
Marion

--
Dr Marion Mittermaier     Manager: Model diagnostics and novel verification

Met Office   FitzRoy Road   Exeter   EX1 3PB   United Kingdom
Tel:  +44 (0) 330 135 1604
E-mail: marion.mittermaier at metoffice.gov.uk<mailto:marion.mittermaier at metoffice.gov.uk>  http://www.metoffice.gov.uk<http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/>

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/people/marion-mittermaier

I am co-chair of the WMO WWRP Joint Working Group on Forecast Verification Research (JWGFVR) http://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/arep/wwrp/new/Forecast_Verification.html