[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #97794] History for processing anomaly resulting in zero matched pairs

John Halley Gotway via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Thu Dec 10 09:57:02 MST 2020

The last couple of days I've noticed that my METPlus routine has not been
processing ozone.  Nothing has changed in the set-up, so I thought it might
be related to missing data, either obs. or from the model output.  It turns
out that this is not the case.

Going through the log files I found something unexpected.  Here is a sample
from demonstrating when it fails (i.e. no matched pairs)

DEBUG 3: Rejected: bad climo stdev = 0
DEBUG 3: Rejected: duplicates      = 0
DEBUG 2: Processing OZCONA8 versus COPO/A8, for observation type AIRNOW,
over region NEC, for interpolation method BILIN(4), using 0 matched pairs.
DEBUG 3: Number of matched pairs   = 0
DEBUG 3: Observations processed    = 42282
DEBUG 3: Rejected: station id      = 0
DEBUG 3: Rejected: obs type        = 0
DEBUG 3: Rejected: valid time      = 42282

Here is an example when it is successful:

DEBUG 3: Rejected: bad climo mean  = 0
DEBUG 3: Rejected: bad climo stdev = 0
DEBUG 3: Rejected: duplicates      = 0
DEBUG 2: Processing OZCON/A8 versus COPO/A8, for observation type AIRNOW,
over region Urban, for interpolation method BILIN(4), using 145 matched
pairs.
DEBUG 3: Number of matched pairs   = 145
DEBUG 3: Observations processed    = 42091
DEBUG 3: Rejected: station id      = 0
DEBUG 3: Rejected: obs type        = 0
DEBUG 3: Rejected: valid time      = 40328

If you look carefully you will see that the case where it failed shows
OZCONA8 while the successful case shows OZCON/A8.

I find nothing indicating the joining of these strings in the point_stat
config.  If you look at my shared_config file you will see that I set the
obsvar and fcst var correctly:

FCST_VAR1_NAME = OZCON
FCST_VAR1_LEVELS = A1
OBS_VAR1_NAME= COPO
OBS_VAR1_LEVELS= A1
OBS_VAR1_OPTIONS =  convert(x) = x * 10^9;
FCST_VAR2_NAME = OZCON
FCST_VAR2_LEVELS = A8
OBS_VAR2_NAME= COPO
OBS_VAR2_LEVELS= A8
OBS_VAR2_OPTIONS =  convert(x) = x * 10^9;

I'm kind of at a loss here and was wondering what could have caused this.

--
Edward Strobach
EMC/NCEP/NWS/