[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #97764] History for PCPCombine Wrapper

George McCabe via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Mon Dec 7 15:05:59 MST 2020

I am having trouble getting my METplus conf file setup correctly using the
PCPCombine.

I am wanting to compare the GFS forecasts to a satellite analysis SST and
sea ice coverage. The satellite analysis covers a 24 hour period, so I am
trying to use the derive feature to create a mean from GFS files, and then
use GridStat to compute stats.

I was looking at the PCPCombine DERIVE Use Case
<https://dtcenter.github.io/METplus/latest/generated/met_tool_wrapper/PCPCombine/PCPCombine_derive.html#sphx-glr-generated-met-tool-wrapper-pcpcombine-pcpcombine-derive-py>
try to set up my conf file. I first tried setting

FCST_VAR1_NAME = TMP

FCST_VAR1_LEVELS = Z0

FCST_VAR2_NAME = ICEC

FCST_VAR2_LEVELS = Z0

but when I ran with that I got back.

DEBUG 2: Since the "-field" command line option was not used, parsing the
command line arguments a list of files, each followed by a configuration
string.

ERROR  :

ERROR  : process_add_sub_derive_args() -> file name used when config string
expected
(/gpfs/dell2/stmp/Mallory.Row/verif_global_feature_met91_metplus31/tmpnwdev/verif_global.55230/satellite_step1/data/gfs/f018.2020053100).
Did you forget the "-field" option?

Next I tried running with

FCST_PCP_COMBINE_INPUT_ACCUMS = 6H, 6H

FCST_PCP_COMBINE_INPUT_NAMES = TMP, ICEC

FCST_PCP_COMBINE_INPUT_LEVELS = Z0, Z0

PCPCombine ran twice, but with only TMP Z0.

Is there a way to set the wrapper to run with both the mean of TMP/Z0 and
ICEC/Z0 being in the same file?

--

Mallory Row

IMSG at NOAA/NWS/NCEP/EMC