[Met_help] [rt.rap.ucar.edu #94302] History for METplus pcp_combine questions

George McCabe via RT met_help at ucar.edu
Wed Apr 22 11:15:17 MDT 2020

Hi there MET help desk,

I have been running METplus v. 2.2 and had a couple of questions regarding the pcp_combine tool. I’m currently working on processing an ensemble of FV3 members to generate statistics for that ensemble. The ensemble is quite large though (40 members) so I was wondering if there was any shortcut I could specify in the config file to read in each member of the ensemble or if each member’s file path and file has to be specified individually in the INPUT_TEMPLATE section of the config file?

The other question I have is regarding the lead time and accumulations created. I’m looking to build precipitation accumulations based on the lead time (e.g., 2-hour accumulation for a 2-hour lead time, 3-hour accumulation at 3-hour lead time, and so on) and have each desired accumulation specified in the config file along with the incremented lead times (“begin_end_incr(1,6,1)”) using the ADD function. However, I’ll notice that for some lead times, the accumulation does not line up correctly (i.e., I’ll have a 4-hour accumulation at 3-hour lead time). This behavior doesn’t exist when my accumulation-leadtime pairs are specified in odd or even increments, so 1,3,5 or 2,4,6 as an example. Is there support in METplus 2.2 to be able to bucket the accumulations by the lead time, or if not, is there a workaround that could be useful?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Brian
Brian Matilla
Research Fellow— Warn-on-Forecast Team
Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies — The University of Oklahoma
NOAA National Severe Storms Laboratory